PROCLAMATION NO. 442/2005
A PROCLAMATION TO ESTABLISH THE
CENTRAL STATISTICS AUTHORITY
WHEREAS, it is necessary to organize the statistical activities of the Country in an effective and integrated manner to ensure the collection, compilation, analysis and supply of timely and accurate statistical data that are required for planning and monitoring social and economic development programs, research and control, policy formulation and administration purposes;
WHEREAS, it has become imperative to issue legislation, which is compatible with the country’s level of development of statistical system, to define the responsibilities and duties of statistical data providers, producers and users as well as that of the Authority and its employees;
NOW, THEREFORE, in accordance with Article 55 (1) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, it is hereby proclaimed as follows:
1. Short Title
This Proclamation may be cited as the “Central Statistics Authority Establishment Proclamation No. 442/2005.”
In this Proclamation, unless the context otherwise requires:-
1) “Ministry” or “Minister” means the Ministry or Minister of Finance and Economic Development, respectively;
2) “Authority” means the Central Statistics Authority;
3) “Statistics” in its singular form refers to the scientific methods adopted in the collection and analysis of facts, while in its plural form refers to numerical facts;
4) “data” means a mass of numerical fact collected by counting or measuring;
5) “census” means the collection, compilation, evaluation and dissemination of basic data pertaining to economic social and demographic sectors through a complete enumeration of units in a well defined territory at a specified time;
6) “sample survey” means the collection, compilation, evaluation and dissemination of basic data pertaining to economic, social and demographic sectors through a method of selecting representative portions from the total units thereof;
7) “continuous registration” means the recording, at national, regional state or lower administrative Sub-division level, or vital events or economic and social establishments on a continuous basis following legally prescribed procedures;
8) “administrative records” means the statistical data collected and compiled by government agencies or institutions or nongovernmental organizations while discharging their routine activities:-
9) “national statistical program” means an official document to be prepared periodically to serve as working document for the Authority;
10) “national level statistics” means collecting data from field, which could give after processing and compilation statistical results at urban or rural or country level;
11) “designated statistics” means statistics classified as such by the Authority;
12) “regional state” means any regional states referred to under Article 47 of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and includes the Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa city administrations;
13) “government agency or institution” means any organ of the federal or regional state government and includes any public enterprise owned by the federal or regional state government;
14) “person” means a natural or juridical person.
3. Scope of Application
1/ This proclamation shall apply to all economic, social and demographic data collection, compilation and dissemination statistical activities;
2/ Though the provision of Sub-Article 1 of this Article, the proclamation shall not apply to any confidential information held by defense and public security.
1/ The Central Statistics Authority (hereinafter the “Authority”) is hereby established as an autonomous federal government agency having its own legal personality;
2/ The Authority shall be accountable to the Minister
5. Head Office
The Authority shall have its Head Office in Addis Ababa and may have branch offices elsewhere, as may be necessary.
The objectives of the Authority are:
1/ to collect, process, analyse and disseminate the necessary socio-economic and demographic statistical data through censuses, sample surveys, continuous registration and administrative recording systems; and
2/ to provide technical guidance and assistance to government agencies and institutions in their endeavor to establish administrative recording, registration and reporting systems; and build the capacity required for providing directives and consultations in database creation and development of administrative records and registration systems.
7. Powers and Duties
The Authority being the country’s statistical information center shall have the following powers and duties:
1) collect and cause the collection of statistical data through censuses, sample surveys, administrative records and continuous registration; process, compile, analyze, publish and disseminate the results thereof;
2) prepare periodically short, medium and long-term national statistical programs and draft budget and upon approval, execute the programs within the given budget and monitor their implementation by other government agencies and institutions;
3) provide advisory services on statistical activities to government agencies or institutions and private organizations upon request;
4) undertake studies and research with respect to statistical methods and ensure the utilization of the results thereof;
23. Effective Date
The Proclamation shall inter into force on 20th date of April, 2005.
Done at Addis Ababa, 20th day of April, 2005.
PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA