PROCLAMATION No. 413/2004
A PROCLAMATION TO AMEND THE QUALITY AND STANDARDS AUTHORITY OF ETHIOPIA ESTABLISHMENT PROCLAMATION
WHEREAS, it has become necessary to amend the Quality and Standards Authority of Ethiopia Establishment Proclamation;
NOW, THEREFORE, in accordance with Article 55 (1) of the Constitution of Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, it is hereby proclaimed as follows:
1. Short Title
This Proclamation may be cited as “Quality and Standards Authority of Ethiopia Establishment Proclamation No. 413/2004.”
The Quality and Standards Authority of Ethiopia Establishment Proclamation No. 102/1998 is hereby amended as follows:
1. Sub-Article (2) of Article 3 of the Proclamation is deleted and replaced by the following new Sub-Article (2):
“2. The Authority shall be accountable t the Ministry of Trade and Industry.”
2. Article 7, 8, 9 and 10 of the Proclamation are deleted and replace by the following new Article 7, 8, 9 and 10.
“7. Organization of the Authority
The Authority shall have:
1. A Standards and Certification Council (hereinafter referred to as the “Council”)
2. A Director General to be appointed by the Government;
3. Deputy Director General to be appointed by the Minister of Trade and Industry as may be necessary; and
4. The necessary staff.
8. Members of the Council
Members of the Council including the Chairperson shall be appointed by the Government, and their number shall be determined as may be necessary.
9. Powers and Duties of the Council
The Council shall have the powers and duties to:
1. Deliberate on national quality and standardization policy and strategy proposals of the Authority and, upon their approval by the Government, issue directives necessary for their implementation;
2. Approve Ethiopian Standards;
3. Determine standards of products, process and systems which shall be subject to mandatory certification;
4. Authorize the recognition and registration of quality certification bodies, inspection bodies, testing laboratories, calibration laboratories and qualified personnel related to these activity areas operating locally;
5. Establish, as may be necessary, a technical advisory committee, designate its members and decide on technical evaluation reports of the committee;
6. Prescribe fees to be charged by the Authority for quality marks and other services.
10. Meetings of the Council
1. The regular meetings of the Council shall be held once every three months; provided, however, that extra-ordinary meetings of the Council may be called by the Chairperson or upon the request of at least one third of its members.
2. There shall be quorum where more than half of the members of the council including the Chairperson are present at a meeting of the Council.
3. Decisions of the Council shall be made by majority vote and, in case of a tie, the Chairperson shall have a casting Vote.
4. Without prejudice to the provisions of this Article, the Council may adopt its own rules of procedure.”
3. The references to the “General Manager” and “Board” under Article 11 of the Proclamation are deleted and replaced by “Director General” and “Ministry of Trade and Industry” respectively.
3. Effective Date
This Proclamation shall enter into force on the date of its publication on the Federal Negarit Gazeta.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 2nd day of August, 2004
PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA