PROCLAMATION No. 383/2004
A PROCLAMATION TO AMEND THE DISASTER PREVENTION AND PREPAREDNESS COMMISSION ESTABLISHMENT PROCLAMATION
WHEREAS, it has become necessary to amend the Disaster Prevention and Preparedness Commission Establishment Proclamation;
NOW, THEREFORE, in accordance with Article 55(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, it is hereby proclaimed as follows:
1. Short Title
This proclamation may be cited as “Disaster Prevention and Preparedness Commission Establishment /Amendment/ Proclamation No. 383/2004.”
The Disaster Prevention and Preparedness Commission Establishment Proclamation No. 10/1995 is hereby amended as follows:
1. Article 2 of the Proclamation is deleted and replaced by the following new Article 2:
In this Proclamation:
1. “disaster” means the development of a situation wherein a segment of the community or the population of a locality cannot any longer meet the need for food and other basic necessities, due to unpredictable natural or man-made into crisis which renders it unable to survive without assistance from others;
2. “assistance” include all measures taken to met the need of the victims of disaster for food and other basic necessities of life;
3. “assistance programme” includes the provision of financial aid, the supply and distribution of food and other materials necessary for a living, the availability of clean drinking water, support in health and nutrients and the prevention of destruction to rural wealth such as animals.”
2. Sub-Article (2) of Article 3 of the Proclamation is deleted and replaced by the following new Sub-Article (2):
“2/ the commission shall be accountable to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.”
3. Sub-Article (1) of Article 5 of the Proclamation is deleted and Sub-Article (2) and (3) are renumbered as Sub-Articles (1) and (2) respectively.
4. Sub-Article (2) of Article 6 of the proclamation deleted and Sub-Articles (3)-(12) are renumbered as Sub-Articles (2)-(11) respectively.
5. Article 8 of the Proclamation is deleted and replaced by the following new Article 8:
“8/ Members of the Committee
Members of the Committee including the chairperson shall be designated by the Government, and their number shall be determined as necessary.”
6. Sub-Article (4) and (5) of Article 10 of the Proclamation are deleted.
3. Effective Date
This Proclamation shall enter into force as of the 13th day of January, 2004.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 13th day of January, 2004
PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA