PROCLAMATION NO. 240/2001
A PROCLAMATION TO PROVIDE FOR THE
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE ETHIOPIAN WOMEN’S
WHEREAS, in order to enable women with low living standard organize in income generating activities with the view to alleviating their economic and social problems, it has become necessary to provide them with financial and technical support;
WHEREAS, as the problems of women are problems of the society as a whole and from lessons learned from past experiences and problems previously encountered by women’s associations, the situation requires special attention support and follow-up of the government and the public.
WHEREAS, in order to strengthen their all-out participation and enable them to become beneficiaries, it has become necessary to create conducive conditions that help women create their own social movement;
WHEREAS, to achieve these objectives, it has become necessary to set up the Ethiopian Women’s Development Fund;
NOW, THEREFORE, in accordance with Article 55(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, it is hereby proclaimed as follows:
1. Short Title
This Proclamation may be cited as the “Ethiopian Women’s Development Fund Establishment Proclamation No. 240/2001.”
“Region” means the Regions specified in Article 47(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, and, for the implementation of this proclamation, includes the Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa Administrations.
1) There is hereby established the Ethiopian Women’s Development Fund (hereinafter referred to as “the Fund”) as a federal government body having its own legal personality.
2) The Fund shall be accountable to the Prime Minister.
4. Objectives of the Fund
The Fund shall have the following objectives:
1) assist organizations that work for the respect of the rights of women in acquiring managerial skills by coordinating and implementing capacity building training and other similar programs;
2) provide financial, material and technical support to income generating activities run by organized women groups;
3) without prejudice to the provision of Sub-Article (2) of this Article, to create situations which enable crippled women participate in income generating activities and provide them with special assistance so that they could make their own livelihood;
4) organize women around income generating activities or assist intermediary professionals mass organizations or government institutions in developing their technical and managerial capacity in project administration;
5) encourage women to create and expand small-scale businesses;
6) in order to bring about change of attitude in the society regarding gender equality, provide financial and technical support, information, education and communication services that increase awareness.
5. Powers and Duties of the Fund
The Fund shall have the following powers and duties:
1) provide financial and technical support for setting up and strengthening of groupings of women around income generating activities;
2) coordinate and follow-up the implementation of capacity building and training activities that will make possible the formation and strengthening of women’s organizations;
3) create means by which tools and implements that will reduce the required energy, time and cost and that may increase the productivity of women:
4) ensure that the fund is allocated for essential activities only and that replenishment is made based on request supported by relevant documents;
5) provide information, education and communication services that will enhance awareness of women regarding gender economic political and social issues;
6) own property enter into contracts sue and be sued in its own name;
7) perform such other activities as may be necessary for the attainment of the objectives of the Fund
6. Structure of the Fund
1) The Fund shall, at the Central level have;
(a) Board of the Ethiopian Women’s Development Fund (hereinafter referred to as the “Board:);
(b) A Central office of the Fund, with a head to be appointed by the Government and the necessary staff.
2) The Fund may, as is conductive, be established at Regional level and shall have the following Organs:
(a) Steering Committee of the Region;
(b) Regional office of the fund with a head appointed by the Regional government and the necessary staff.
Central Organs Of the Fund
7. Members of the Board
The Board shall have the following members:
1) Head of Women’s Sub-sector in the
Prime Minister’s Office……………. Chairperson
2) Heads of Women’s Affairs Bureax
of the Regions …………………………… Members
3) Representatives of relevant
organizations and the institutions
designated by the government …… Members
4) Head of the Central Office of
the Fund………………………….. Secretary
8. Powers and Duties of the Board
The Board shall have the following powers and duties:
1) guide and supervise the overall administration and operation of the Fund;
2) issue directives related with allocation and utilization of the Fund and monitor the implementation of same;
3) without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Board shall:
(a) issue project implementation manual and improve same from time to time;
(b) approve the Fund’s annual budget and program;
(c) approve the Fund’s annual financial report: nominate external auditor:
(d) establish a salary scale for employees of the Fund;
(e) decide on other policy matters concerning the Fund.
9. Meetings of the Board
1) The Board meets once every three months; provided however, that extraordinary meetings of the Board may be held at any time at the call of the Chairperson.
2) There shall be a quorum where more than half of the members of the Board are present at a meeting.
3) Any decision of the Board shall be made by a simple majority vote of the members present. In case of a tie however, the chairperson shall have a casting vote.
4) The Board may draw its own rules of procedure.
10. Powers and Duties of the Central Office
The Fund’s Central office shall have the powers and duties to:
1) promote the objectives and activities of the Fund throughout the country;
2) ensure that the administrative directives of the Fund are complied with;
3) assist regional offices in enhancing their capability in project preparation, promotion, appraisal, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
4) prepare and submit to the Board consolidated annual budget and programs of the Fund; implement same on its approval;
5) direct and coordinate the technical support provided by the fund;
6) monitor the budget and work program implementation and financial operations of the regional offices and ensure their compliance with the requirements of the Fund’s Operational manual;
7) effect expenditures in accordance with the budget approved for the central Office;
8) review replenishment requests from regional offices and forward withdrawal applications to financing sources in accordance with the directives of the Board;
9) prepare and submit, to the Board, quarterly, semiannual and annual reports on the activities expenditures and financial situation of the Fund;
10) organize, monitor, and supervise the overall capacity building, training, research, and educational information services of the Fund;
11) prepare consolidated annual financial statements and ensure that they are audited by external auditors;
12) make proposals to the Board on policy matters;
13) oversee the implementation of the Fund’s activities;
14) Carry out such other activities with a view of developing the resource and persistence of the fund.
11. Head of the Central Office of the Fund
1) The Head of the Central Office shall, subject to the overall guidance of the Board, be responsible for proper execution of the Fund’s activities in line with the requirements of the Operational Manual.
2) Without limiting the generality of Sub-Article (1) of this Article, the Head of the Central Offices shall:
(a) exercise the powers and duties of the Central Office provided for in Article 10 of this proclamation;
(b) employ and administer the employees of the Central Office in accordance with the Federal Civil Service law;
(c) effect expenditure in accordance with the budget approved for the Central Office;
(d) represent the Fund in all its dealings with third parties at the level of the Central Office;
(e) may delegate part of his powers and duties to the employees of the Central Office to the extent necessary for the efficient performance of the Fund’s activities;
3) In the absence of the Head, the person delegated shall discharge all the functions conferred upon him by the Head of the Central Office.
Regional Organs of the Fund
12. Members of the Regional Steering Committee
There shall be established, in each Region, a Regional Steering Committee whose members shall be designated by the respective Regional Government.
13. Powers and Duties of the Regional Steering Committee
Each Regional Steering Committee shall have the Powers and duties to;
1) ensure that the operations of the Fund within the region are carried out in accordance with this Proclamation, the Operational Manual and the decisions of the Board;
2) approve draft annual work programs and budget proposals of the Fund for the region to be submitted to the Board through the Central Office for final approval;
3) approve the quarterly, semi-annual and the annual physical implementation and financial reports of the Regional Office;
4) decide on all project proposals, plans and other issues related with the implementation of the Fund’s work program for the region.
14. Meetings of the Regional Steering Committee
1) The Regional Steering Committee shall meet once every three months; provided, however, that extraordinary meetings of the committee may be held at any time at the call of the Chairperson.
2) There shall be a quorum where more than half of the members of the Committee are present at a meeting.
3) Any decision of the committee shall be made by a simple majority vote of the members present, In case of a tie, however, the Chairperson shall have a casting vote.
4) The Committee may adopt its own rules of procedure.
15. Powers and Duties of the Regional Office
Each Regional Office shall have the powers and duties to.
1) promote the activities of the Fund throughout the Region;
2) prepare and submit to the Steering Committee annual work program and budget proposals of the Fund for the region, and submit same to the Central Office upon approval of the Steering Committee;
3) appraise project proposals by applicants and make recommendations for the Regional Steering committee;
4) make the necessary arrangements for implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects;
5) utilize properly the fund allocated for projects;
6) coordinate and supervise training and other capacity building activities carried out by the Fund in the Region.
7) prepare and submit to the Steering Committee quarterly, semi-annual and annual financial and physical implementation reports, and submit same to the Central Office upon approval by the Steering Committee;
8) give access to any financial and project records to the Central Office;
9) prepare replenishment requests as per the requirements of the Operational Manual and submit same to the Central Office to effect disbursements;
10) effect expenditures in accordance with the approved budget.
16. Powers and Duties of Head of Regional Office
1) The Head of each Regional Office shall, subject to the overall guidance of the Steering Committee, be responsible for the proper execution of the Fund’s regional activities in line with the requirements stated in the Operational Manual;
2) Without limiting the generality of Sub-Article (1) of this Article, the Head of each Regional Office shall:
(a) exercise the powers and duties of the Regional Office of the Fund provided for in Article 15 of this Proclamation;
(b) employ and administer the employees of the Regional Office in accordance with the Civil Service laws;
(c) effect expenditures in accordance with the budget approved for the Regional Office;
(d) represent the Fund in all its dealings with third parties at the level of the Regional Office;
(e) delegate part of his powers and duties to the employees of the Regional Office for the efficient performance of the Fund’s activities in the Region.
3) In the asbsence of the Head of the Regional office, the person delegated shall discharge all the functions conferred upon him by the Head.
17. Ensuring Consistency of practice
The Project Implementation Manual shall, in order to ensure consistency of practice, govern all operations and activities of the Fund.
18. Sources of Finance
The Fund which shall be a revolving fund and be utilized to financing trainings for beneficiaries of the fund shall be obtained from the following sources.
1) financial contributions of the Federal and Regional governments;
2) financial contributions of donor agencies, and
3) other Sources.
19. Bank Accounts
The financial contributions referred to in Article 18 of this Proclamation shall be deposited in a bank in the name of the Fund.
The accounts of the Fund shall be audited annually.
21. Procurement and Utilization of Goods
Procurement and utilization of goods shall be carried out in accordance with the Operational Manual to be issued based on the Government Procurement Regulations and Directives.
22. Issuance of Directives
The Board may issue directives for the proper implementation of this Proclamation.
23. Duty to Cooperate
Any person, organ of Government administration, and private organization, shall have the duty to cooperate with the Fund in the execution of its activities.
24. Inapplicable laws
Any law which is inconsistent with this Proclamation shall not be applicable.
25. Effective Date
This Proclamation shall enter into force as of the 19th day of June, 2001.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 19th day of June, 2001.
NGGASO GIDADA (DR.)
PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC
REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA