FEDERAL NEGARIT GAZETA OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA 6th Year No. 21 Addis Ababa – 7th March, 2000
PROCLAMATION No. 193/1999 A PROCLAMATION TO AMEND THE PROCLAMATION FOR THE REVIEW OF PROPERTIES TAKEN IN VIOLATION OF THE RELEVANT PROCLAMATIONS
WHEREAS, it has become necessary to amend the Proclamation for the Review of Properties Taken in violation of the Relevant Proclamation No. 110/1995;
NOW, THEREFORE, in accordance with Article 55(1) of the constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, it is hereby proclaimed as follows:
1. Short Title
This Proclamation may be cited as the “Review of Properties Taken in Violation of the Relevant Proclamations (Amendment) Proclamation No. 193/2000.”
The Proclamation for the Review of properties Taken in Violation of the Relevant Proclamation No. 110/1995 is hereby amended as follows:
1. The following new Sub-Article 2(f) is added after Sub-Article 2(3) of Article 4. Sub –Article 2(f) is renumbered as Sub-Article 2(g).
“f. to issue an order for the purpose of restraining the transfer, to third parties, of any property on which a restitution claim has been lodged, as well as the substantial alteration on such property until decision is made on the claim.”
2. The following new Article 7 is added after Article 6:
1. Where a property taken in violation of the law:
a) Cannot be returned to the owner due to substantial public investment made on it or is administered as inseparable unit of other properties or due to other reasons related to the public interest; or
b) Is owned by a public enterprise which is being dissolved and liquidated in accordance with Article 39 of Proclamation No. 25/92;
The former owner shall be entitled to compensation. The amount of compensation shall be assessed and determined by the Agency.”
2. The payment of compensation under Sub-Article 1(b) of this Article shall have priority over claims of government offices and other public enterprises to be settled with the proceeds enterprise.
3. No claim shall be made for loss of income or other damages in relation to a property taken by and held in Possession of the government in violation of the law.
3. Article 7, 8, 9 and 10 of the Proclamation are renumbered as Articles 8, 9, 10 and 11 respectively.
4. Effective Date
This Proclamation shall enter into force as of the 7th day of December, 2000.
Done at Addis Ababa this 7th day of December, 2000.
NEGASO GIDADA (DR.)
PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA