Art 1. Scope of application
(1) The provisions of this Code shall apply from the day of its coming into force to all suits pending on such day and instituted thereafter.
(2) Any suit pending on the coming into force of this Code shall be completed by the court having jurisdiction under the law repealed by this Code, notwithstanding that such court is not mentioned in the Code.
Art 2. Periods of time
(1) Where periods of time have expired prior to the coming into force of this Code, noting in this Code shall revive them.
(2) Where periods of time have been introduced by this Code, they shall run from the day of the coming into force of this Code,
(3) Where periods of time have been extended by this Code, the periods provided for by this Code shall apply but the time having run prior to the coming into force of this Code shall be deducted.
(4) Where periods of time have been shortened by this Code, the periods provided for by the law repealed by this Code shall continue to run on the coming into force of this Code.
Art 3. – Interpretation
In this Code, unless the context otherwise requires, the following terms and expressions shall have the following meaning:
“affidavit” shall mean a statement of facts in writing lawfully sworn or affirmed:
“Court” shall mean a court established by law:
“decree” shall mean the formal expression of any preliminary or final adjudication which, so far as concerns the court expressing it, conclusively determines the lights of the parties concerning all or any of the matters in dispute in the suit,
“decree- holder” shall mean any person in whose favor a decree has been passed or an order capable of execution has been made and shall include the transferee of a decree:
“execution officer” shall mean any judge, officer of any court of any other person appointed by the Minister of Justice to execute decrees,
“foreign court” shall mean a court situate outside Ethiopia, ,
“foreign judgment” shall mean the judgment of a foreign court:
“government pleader” shall include:
a) any officer appointed by the government to perform all or any of the functions imposed by this Code on the government pleader: and
b) any pleader acting under the directions of the government pleader,
“judgment” shall mean the statement given by a court of the grounds of a decree or order:
“judgment- debtor” shall mean any person against whom a decree has been passed or an order capable of execution has been made;
“law” shall include proclamations, decrees, orders and any subsidiary legislation made there under,
“legal representative” shall mean any person who in law represents a person under disability or the estate of a deceased person;
“mesne profits” of property shall mean those profits which the person in wrongful possession of such property actually received or might with ordinary diligence have received therefrom, together with interest on such profits, but shall not include profits due to improvements made by such person;
“order” shall mean the formal expression of any decision of a court which is not a decree;
“person under disability” mean any person who is not capable under the law;
“pleader” shall mean any an advocate and shall include any person entitled to appear and plead for another;
“prescribed” shall mean prescribed by regulations under this Code; “registrar” shall mean the registrar or assistant registrar or a court and shall include any clerk of court assigned by the registrar to carry out all or part of the duties of a registrar:
“share in a corporation” shall be deemed to include stock, debenture stock, debentures or bonds.