COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATIONS No. 10/1996
COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATIONS TO
RPOVIDE FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE
ETHIOPIAN TELECOMMUNICATION CORPORATION
These Regulations are issued by the Council of Ministers pursuant to Article 5 of the Definition of Powers and Duties of the Executive Organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No. 4/1995 and Article 47(1) (a) of the Public Enterprises Proclamation No. 25/1992.
1. Short Title
These Regulations may be cited as the “Ethiopian Telecommunication Corporation Establishment Council of Ministers Regulations No. 10/1996.”
1. The Ethiopian Telecommunication Corporation (hereinafter “the Corporation”) is hereby established as a public enterprise.
2. The Corporation shall be governed by the public Enterprises Proclamation No. 25/1992.
3. Supervising Authority
A body to be designated by the Government shall be the supervising authority of the Corporation.
4. Head Office
The Corporation shall have its head office in Addis Ababa and may have branch offices elsewhere as may be necessary.
The purposes for which the Corporation is established are:
1) to engage, in accordance with development policies and priorities of the Government, in the construction, operation, maintenance and expansion of telecommunication services;
2) to provide domestic and international telephone, telex, telefax and other communication services;
3) to provide communication services using integrated information technology, including re-broadcasting of television broadcasts;
4) to repair, assemble and manufacture telecommunication equipment and ancillaries;
5) to render training services to telecommunication personnel;
6) to engage in other related activities necessary for the attainment of its purposes.
The authorized capital of the Corporation is Birr 1,473,980,578 (one billion four hundred seventy three million nine hundred eighty thousand and five hundred seventy eight Birr) of which Birr 480,459,578 (four hundred eighty million four hundred fifty nine thousand and five hundred seventy eight Birr) is paid up in cash and in kind.
The Corporation shall not be liable beyond its total assets.
The Corporation is established for an indefinite duration
9. Transfer of Rights and Obligations
The rights and obligations of the former Ethiopian Telecommunication Authority operated under Proclamation No. 131/1952 are hereby transferred to the Corporation.
10. Effective Date
These Regulations shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Federal Negarit Gazeta.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 28th day of November, 1996
PRIME MINISTER OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC
REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA