COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATION NO. 35/1998
COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATION ON
INVESTMENT AREAS RESERVED FOR DOMESTIC
These Regulations are issued by the Council of Ministers pursuant to Article 5 of the Definition of Powers and Duties of the Executive Organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No. 4/1995 and Article 6(2) of the Investment Proclamation No. 37/1996 (as amended).
1. Short Title
These Regulations may be cited as the “Investment Areas Reserved for Domestic Investors council of Ministers Regulations No. 35/1998
In these Regulation “Domestic Investor” shall have the meaning assigned to it by Article 2(5) of the Investment Proclamation No. 37/1996 (as amended).
3. Areas Reserved for Domestic Investors
The areas of investment listed in the Schedule attached to these Regulations shall be exclusively reserved for domestic investors.
4. Effective Date
These Regulations shall come into force as of the date of their publication in the Federal Negarit Gazeta.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 12th day of June, 1998.
PRIME MINISTER OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC
REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA
Areas of Investment Reserved for Domestic Investors
1. Radio and television broadcasting services;
2. Retail trade and brokerage;
3. Wholesale trade (excluding supply of petroleum and its by-products as well as wholesale by foreign investors of their products, locally produced;
4. Import trade;
5. Export trade of raw coffee, oil seeds, p7ulses, hides and skins and live sheep, goats and cattle not raised or fattened on own farm;
6. Construction companies excluding grade 1 contractors;
7. Tanning of hides and skins up to crust level;
8. Hotels other than those star-designated, motels, pensions, tearooms, coffee shops, bars,. Night clubs and restaurants excluding international and specialized restaurants;
9. Tour operations, travel agency, commission agency and ticket offices;
10. Car hire and taxi-cabs transport;
11. Commercial road transport and inland-water transport services;
12. Bakery products and pastries exclusively for the domestic market;
13. Grinding mills;
14. Barber shops, Beauty salons, smith workshops and tailoring excluding garment factories;
15. Building maintenance services,. Repair and maintenance of vehicles;
16. Saw mills and manufacture of wood products exclusively for the domestic market;
17. Customs clearance services;
18. Museums, theatres and cinema hall operations;
19. Printing industry;
20. Artisanal mining.