COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATION NO. 23/1997
COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATION TO PROVIDE
FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE ETHIOPIAN
These Regulations are issued by the Council of Ministers pursuant to Article 5 of the Definition of Powers and Duties of the Executive Organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No. 4/1995.
1. Short Title
These Regulations may be cited as the “Ethiopian Conference centre Establishment Council of Ministers Regulations No. 23/1997.
1. The Ethiopian Conference centre (hereinafter “the centre”) is hereby established as an autonomous federal organ having its own legal personality.
2. The centre shall be accountable to the Ministry of Information and Culture (hereinafter “the Ministry”).
3. Head Office
The centre shall have its head office in Addis Ababa.
The objective of the centre shall be to serve as a venue for the presentation of the artistic works of nations/nationalities and peoples with a view to helping the peoples of Ethiopia know each other and develop harmonious interaction amongst themselves.
5. Powers and Duties
The centre shall have the powers and duties to:
1 Serve as a venue whereby modern and traditional works o fart, which have educational and recreational value, are presented to the public;
2. Serve as a centre for conferences, seminars and workshops organized by various entities especially those organized by the House of the Peoples’ Representatives and the House of the Federation for their members and other participants;
3. Serve as a venue for the presentation of various public educational programs on concepts embodied in the constitution;
4. Serve as a venue for other public programs which are conducive to the attainment of its objective.
6. Management of the centre
The centre shall have:
1. A General Manager; and
2. The necessary staff.
7. Powers and Duties of the General Manager
1. The General Manager shall be the chief executive officer of the centre and shall, subject to the general directives of the Ministry, direct and administer the activities of the centre.
2. Without limiting the generality stated under Sub-Article
a. Exercise the powers and duties of the centre specified under Article 5 hereof;
b. Prepare and submit to the Ministry the annual budget and work program of the centre, and implement same upon approval;
c. Employ and administer the employees of the centre in accordance with directives to be issued by the Ministry following the basic principles of the federal civil service laws;
d. Effect expenditure in accordance with the approved budget and work program of the centre;
e. Represent the centre in all its dealings with third parties;
f. Prepare and submit to the Ministry the activity and financial reports of the centre.
3. The General Manager may, to the extent necessary for the efficient performance of the activities of the centre, delegate part of his powers and duties to other officials and employees of the centre; provided, however, that in the case of an official who acts on his behalf for more than thirty days, prior approval by the Ministry shall be required.
The budget of the centre shall be drawn from the following sources;
1. Income from any service rendered by the centre;
2. Subsidy granted by the Federal Government;
9. Books of Accounts
1. The centre shall keep complete and accurate books of accounts.
2. The accounts and financial documents of the centre shall be audited annually by the Auditor General or by auditors appointed by him.
10. Transfer of Property
The centre shall own the property transferred to it from the Constitution Commission and the Constitutional Assembly.
11. Effective Date
These Regulations shall enter into force on the date of their publication in the Federal Negarit Gazeta.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 19th day of December 1997.
PRIME MINISTER OF THE FEDERAL
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA