Council of Ministers Regulation No. 117/2005
COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATIONS
TO ESTABLISH THE ETHIOPIAN MILLENNIUM
FESTIVAL NATIONAL COUNCIL
This Regulation is issued by the council of Ministers pursuant to Article 5 of the Definition of Powers and Duties of the Executive Organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No. 4/1995.
1. Short Title
This Regulation may be cited as the “Ethiopian Millennium Festival National Council Establishment Council of Ministers Regulation No. 117/2005.”
In this Regulation “the Ethiopia Millennium Festival” means a period of one year starting from at least three months prior to the beginning of the third millennium in accordance with the Ethiopia calendar.
1) The Ethiopia Millennium Festival National Council (hereinafter the “Council”) is hereby established.
2) The Council shall be accountable to the Prime Minister.
4. Objectives of the Council
The Council shall, in conjunction with the event of the Ethiopian Millennium Festival, have the following objectives:
1) to enable the whole society to have shared vision with respect to national issues on development and building democratic system and thereby enter the new Ethiopian Millennium with the hope of seeing a better Ethiopia;
2) to mobilize the society around national development and good governance issues and thereby create national consensus;
3) to promote, through the concerted efforts of the Government and all citizens, the national heritages of the country through out the rest of the world with a view to image building in investment, tourism, trade and other aspects of the country;
4) to convey the country’s major national objectives, missions and strategic interests to the society, the youth and the world in general.
5. Members of the Council
Members of the Council shall be drawn from the following organs:
1) the Federal and Regional States;
2) governmental and non-governmental institutions;
3) private investors, renowned individuals, artists, the Ethiopia diasporas and friends of Ethiopia; and
4) other organs that could play a role in the event.
6. Powers and Duties of the Council
The Council shall have the powers and duties to:
1) forward proposals and advice the Government on the formulation of programmes and projects designed for the realization of the objectives stated under Article 4 of this Regulation;
2) encourage the active participation of governmental and non-governmental institutions and enterprises, the society in general, as well as Ethiopian living abroad and persons of Ethiopian origin in the preparatory activities of the Millennium Festival;
3) mobilize the material and financial support required for the Festival from domestic and foreign sources;
4) perform such other activities as may be necessary for the realization of its objectives.
7. Organs of the Council
The Council shall have the following organs:
1) Councils to be established at regional, zonal and wereda levels;
2) Councils to be established abroad as may be necessary;
3) an Executive Committee; and
4) a National Secretariat.
8. The President and Members of the Executive Committee of the Council
The President of the Council and members of the Executive Committee shall be assigned by the Government.
9. Powers and Duties of the President
The President of the Council shall:
1) supervise the proper execution of the powers and duties of the Council under Article 6 of this Regulations;
2) preside over the meetings of the Council and the Executive Committee;
3) supervise and follow up the activities of the Executive Committee and the Secretariat of the Council;
4) perform such other activities as may be necessary for the celebration of the Ethiopian Millennium Festival.
10. Powers and Duties of the Executive Committee
The Executive Committee of the Council shall:
1) formulate and submit to the Government, based on the opinions of the Council, programs, projects and action plans designed for the realization of the objectives state under Article 4 of the this Regulation and, upon their approval, implement same;
2) at the end of the Ethiopian millennium Festival, hand over on-going programs and projects to the appropriate government organs on the basis of decisions by the Government;
3) perform such other activities as may be necessary for the celebration of the Ethiopian Millennium Festival.
11. Secretariat of the Council
1) The Secretariat of the Council;
(a) shall have it sown juridical personality;
(b) shall have its head office in Addis Ababa and may have branch offices abroad, where necessary;
(c) shall be headed by a Director General to be assigned by the government and, where necessary, Assistant Directors whose assignment shall be approved by the Executive Committee;
(d) shall have personnel to be assigned on the basis of socondment from different governmental and non-governmental institutions and other contractual employees.
2) The Secretariat shall be responsible for the day-to day operations of the activities of the council.
12. Rules of Procedures
1) The Council shall adopt its own rules of procedure for conducting meetings and the passing of decisions.
2) The Executive Committee shall adopt its own rules of procedures and the operational manual of the council.
1) The recurrent budget of the Secretariat of the Council shall be appropriated by the government.
2) The expenses to be incurred in connection with the celebration of the Ethiopian Millennium Festival shall be covered by:
(a) budgetary appropriations by the Government;
(b) fund generated through exhibitions, bazaars and other fund mobilization events to be conducted locally or abroad;
(c) contributions by the different sectors of the society and institutions;
(d) financial support from other sources.
3) The fund to be mobilized pursuant to sub-article (2) of this Article shall be deposited in a bank account to be opened in the name of the Secretariat of the Council and shall be expended to give effect to the celebration of the Ethiopian Millennium Festival.
14. Books of Accounts
1) The Secretariat of the Council shall keep complete and accurate books of accounts.
2) The books of accounts and financial documents of the Secretariat shall be audited by the Federal Auditor General or by auditors assigned by him.
15. Power to Issue Directives
The Executive Committee of the Council may issue directives necessary for the implementation of this Regulations.
16. Effective Date
This Regulations shall come into force on the date of 24th day & May 2005.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 24th day of May, 2005
PRIME MINISTER OF THE FEDERAL
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA