COUNCIL OF MINISTERS CHARTER
REGULATIONS NO. 112/2004 COUNCIL OF MINISTER
CHARTER REGULATIONS ESTABLISHING GONDER
This Charter Regulations is issued by the Council of Ministers pursuant to Article 5 of Definitions of Powers and Duties of the Executive Organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No. 4/1995 and Art. 8 of Higher Education Proclamation No. 351/2003
1. Short Title
This Charter may be cited as the “Gonder University Establishing Council of Ministers Regulation Charter No. 112/2004
In this Charter unless the context requires otherwise:
1) “Proclamation” means Higher Education Proclamation No. 351/2003
2) “Region” means a region provided under Article 47(1)(3) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
3) “Government”, “Ministry”, “Minister”, “Board”, “Senate”, “Academic Staff”, “Fund” “Enterprise” “Higher Education Institution” shall have the definitions given in the Proclamation.
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE UNIVERSITY AND ITS OBJECTIVE
3. Establishment and Accountability
1) There is hereby established the University of Gonder (herein after referred to as “the University”) as an autonomous higher education institution having its own legal personality.
2) The University shall comprise the following institutions, faculties and schools.
(a) College of Medicine and Health Sciences
(b) Faculty of Applied Sciences
(c) Faculty of Economics
(d) Faculty of Social Sciences, Humanities and Business
(e) Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
(f) School of Graduate Studies
(g) Other Faculties, Colleges and Institutes to be established by the board and the Ministry.
3) The University shall be accountable to the Ministry of Education.
The University shall have the following objectives
1) provides skilled manpower in quantity and quality that will serve the country in different professions.
2) expands higher education services that are free from any discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, sex, politics and other similar grounds
3) lays down problem solving educational system that enables to utilize potential resources of the country and undertake study and research
4) provides higher education and community services that are compatible with the needs and development of the country.
5) lays down an institutional system that ensure the accountability of the institution
6) ensure the participation of all those concerned bodies in administration decision making, create and promote participation culture
7) makes efforts to develop and disseminate the culture of respect, tolerance and living together among people.
5. Power and Duties
The University shall have the following powers and duties:
1) to implement undergraduate and postgraduate programs establish and run colleges, faculties, schools, institutes and other academic and research units;
2) to confer academic certificates, diplomas degrees and other academic awards, and to confer academic titles and medals for those who have made immense contributions;
3) to undertake relevant studies and research that contributes to the development of the country;
4) to organize and conduct seminars, workshops and symposia;
5) to establish relations with different bodies including local and foreign sister universities, research institutions, and other organizations having similar objectives;
6) to provide appropriate consultancy, special training and other services to the community, local governments and the Federal Government at large;
7) to establish and publish academic journals and newsletters;
8) to own property;
9) to enter into contracts;
10) to use and be used in its own name;
11) to levy appropriately for the services it is providing;
12) to establish and administer income generation enterprise and income fund;
13) to carry out such other activities as are necessary for the attainment of its objectives;
6. Autonomy and Accountability
1) Subject to internal regulations of the Board and provisions of other laws, the university shall particularly have administrative autonomy and accountability in the following;
(a) implement the administration of personnel, employment, promotion and other matters of the university staff according to the Principle of Civil Service;
(b) administer finance, allocate and utilize budget to its internal units on the basis of the Financial Law of Ethiopia;
(c) Curriculum review and development in line with national guiselines and international standards;
(d) Formulating research strategy and conducting same on the principles of transparency and accountability;
(e) determining internal organization on the principles of the Civil Service Commission;
(f) establishing relation with local and international institutions for the advancement of its academic, research, community service duties;
(g) establishing income generating enterprise and duse the earned-incomes;
2) Subject to limitation provided by other laws, the University shall have academic and research freedom to search for truth, cultivate and advance knowledge, and disseminate the same
3) The University shall have accountability, in particular, with respect to
(a) ensuring that all educational and research programs emanate from the country’s strategies and policies.
(b) ensuring that priorities are given to government programs and are relevant to the country’s situations,
(c) ensuring that the allocation and utilization of budget and resource are based on cost effectiveness and responsibility to the public,
(d) ensuring that all teaching-learning and research activities are institutionalized and transparent,
(e) ensuring that the university staff are evaluated, individually and severally, with result commensurate with quality and relevance standards.
(f) ensuring that any member of the institutions in responsibilities of teaching, research, administration and leadership is accountable to the public and the body to which it is accountable individually or collectively.
7. Information Exchange
1) There shall be an exchange of information between private and public institutions, as well as other bodies and the University as per the internal regulation of the board.
2) The University has the duty, up on request, to provide a worker, a student of any other body who undertakes research relating to education with information or assist to have access thereto.
3) Research and studies documents shall be made available to all students, researchers and other beneficiaries of the University.
8. Studies and Research
1) Particulars on organization necessary to conduct a research work shall be provided in accordance with internal regulations of the University and is based on the following requirements:
(a) The research is led by Academic and Research Vice President
(b) The University may open research institute when it finds necessary
(c) The University shall solicit and allocate sufficient fund for research and study it, conducts and utilizes it for the purpose intended;
(d) The University may employ researchers and their assistants by joint appointment ship;
(e) The University may undertake cooperative research with relevant organizations.
2) The University research and studies projects, their selection, budget utilization and resource ownership as well as implementation of the same shall be transparent and accountable.
THE UNIVERSITY EXECUTIVE BODIES
9. The University Board
1) The Board shall have a chairperson appointed by the Ministry
2) The Board shall have members consisting of:
(a) Ministry of Education…………………….member
(b) One representative of Federal Government……………member
(c) Four representatives of Regional Government…………member
(d) A renowed and meritorious person…………………..…member
(e) Other members as determined by the Board………….member
(f) President of the University………………..member and secretary
3) Members assigned by the Board shall have positive contributions to development and shall be beneficiaries of the service rendered by the University.
4) The Board shall have duties and responsibilities given to it in the Proclamation.
10. The University Senate
The senate shall be accountable to the University president and have the following members:
1) President of the University……………………Chairperson
2) Vice-President of the University………………member
3) Academic Programs Officer…………………..member
4) Deans of Faculties, Institutes, Schools & Colleges…………..member
5) Public and External Relations Officer………………………..member
6) Hospital Director……………………………………………..member
7) Registrar of the University……………………..member & secretary
8) Head Librarian of the University……………….member
9) Student’s Dean…………………………………member
10) Two Academic Staff’ Representative…………..member
11) Two Students’ Representative………………….member
12) Head or Representative of Gender Mainstreaming Office…………..member
13) Head of Research and Publication………………member
14) Other appropriate members of the University to be assigned by the Board……….members
11. Powers and Duties of the senate
Subject to the provisions of the Proclamation, the Senate shall have the following powers and duties:
1) to implement directives issued by the board
2) to set criteria for admission of students, determination of academic standards and graduation, and regulate disciplinary matters; to examine and decide on petitions relating to same;
3) to determine the general standards and directions of conducting of examinations.
4) to issue specific directives on the basis of law and policies drawn up by the Board particularly on student administration, academic matters, procedure for selection of academic heads, employment of academic staff, promotion, fringe benefits, discipline and salary;
5) to propose promotion of professorship to the Board
6) to award academic promotion of associate and assistant professorships;
7) to examine and approve the employment of academic staff of the University;
8) to issue its own meeting procedures and internal regulations;
9) subject to the conditions where the president may call a meeting where he deems necessary, to have at least one meeting each quarter;
10) to delegate its duties to others university bodies and standing or ad-hoc committees;
11) to perform such other activities, as may be assigned to it by the Board and/or the president.
12. President and Vice-President of the University
1) The candidate presidents of the university shall have commendable academic and managerial ability as well as ethics;
2) There shall be three vice presidents of the university accountable to the president;
3) The term of office of the University president and Vice-president shall be five year;
4) The University President shall have duties and responsibilities as provided in the Proclamation.
13. Vice-Presidents and their Powers and Duties
1) The University Academic and Research Vice-President shall
(a) consult and assist the President regarding the powers and duties of the university
(b) direct and supervise the activities of the university organs accountable to it upon implementation of the decisions and directives issued by the Board and Senate
(c) In the absence of the president, direct and coordinate the activities of the university on behalf of the president
(d) plan, lead supervise academic activities of the University in its faculties, institutes, schools and continuing education programs
(e) plan, lead and supervise research and studies activities, agreements and projects of the University
(f) lead and supervise the library, registrar and other organs of the University, which are directly accountable to it.
(g) Solicit national and international links and partnerships, and follow their implementation
(h) report on activity performance, budget allocation and utilization and other activities of the units under it to the president.
(i) Carry out such other activities which may be specifically entrusted to it by the Board, the Senate or the President.
2) The University Administrative Vice-President shall
(a) consult and assist the President regarding the powers and duties of the University
(b) direct and supervise the activities of the University organs accountable to it
(c) direct and supervise the University students services, financial, administrative and support services
(d) implement the decisions and directives issued by the Board, or Senate
(e) solicit and administer national and international partnerships to improve the administrative and management capacity of the institution
(f) report on activity performance, budget allocation and utilization and other activities of the units under it to the president.
(g) undertake other duties given to it by the Board, the Senae or the President
3) The University Development and Business Vice-President
(a) consult and assist the President regarding the powers and duties of the University
(b) direct and supervise the activities of the University organs accountable to it
(c) implement the decisions and directives issued by the Board, or Senate,
(d) plan, direct and supervise entrepreneurial enterprises, and business units of the University, and create and entrepreneurial culture
(e) plan, program, direct and supervise new ventures and developments in the University, and outsourcing of the facilities and services,
(f) plan, program and manage capital investments of the University that are related to new developments and expansions.
(g) direct, lead and supervise implementation of agreements and projects related to its domain with other organizations,
(h) actively solicit national and international links & partnerships, and execute the same;
(i) report on activity performance budget allocation and utilization and other activities of the units under it,
(j) prepare and submit business and strategic plans,
(k) undertake other duties given to it by the Board, the Senate or the President,
4) The College of Medicine and Health Sciences may be managed by Associate Vice President, accountable to the Vice President for Academic and Research Affairs and having the following duties and responsibilities:
(a) consults and assist the President regarding the powers and duties of the university
(b) Plans, directs and supervises the teaching, research and services of College of Medicine and Health Sciences.
(c) Plan, leads and supervises the activities of patients; and healthcare services of the hospital, their administration and finance
(d) Directs and supervises the activities of the satellite campuses used for community-based practical education
(e) Activity solicit national and international links and partnership
(f) Report on activity performance, budget allocation and utilization and other activities of the units under it
(g) Prepares and submit business and strategic plans
(h) Discharges such other activities which may be specifically entrusted to it by the Board, the Senate or the President
14. Academic Commission
1) Each faculty, College, institute or school shall have an Academic Commission accountable to the Dean.
2) The academic commission shall have the following members:
(a) Deans of the Faculty, College, School or Institute……………………chairperson
(b) Vice-deans of the faculty, college, school or institute, if any…………….member
(c) Head of each departments……………………….member
(d) One Students’ representative………………….member
(e) One representative of the academic staffs………….member
(f) Faculty of Continuing Education Coordination……………………member
(g) Appropriate members to be assigned by the commission…………….member
3) Subject to directives of the Senate, the academic commission shall have the following powers and duties;
(a) Plans activities, prepares and allocates budget within the faculty, college, institute or school and follow the implementation of the same;
(b) submits for approval, by the Senate, curricula of training and educational programs of the institution;
(c) sets criteria for students, related to education and disciplinary matters, with due consideration to directives of the Senate;
(d) recommends to the senate honorary degree awards and education related prize;
(e) examines and determines the award of the academic promotions of lectures, assistant lecturers, graduate assistants and technical assistants, as per the internal regulations of the board;
(f) recommends to the Senate the award of the academic promotions of assistant and associate professorship;
(g) examines the employment of the academic staff; and decides on the cases of scholarship, research and sabbatical leaves;
(h) issues its own meeting procedures and internal regulations;
(i) performs such other activities as may be assigned to it by the president and the Senate
15. Department Assembly
1) Each department in the University shall have Department Assembly
2) Every Department Assembly shall be composed of all fulltime academic staff members of the department and shall be chaired by the Head of the Department.
3) A Department Assembly shall have the following powers and duties:
(a) to submit recommendations to the academic commission on the programmes of studies necessary for obtaining certificates, diplomas or degrees offered by the department courses; and execute same;
(b) prepare the annual plan, budget and reports of the department;
(c) monitor the financial and personnel management of the department;
(d) conduct teachers’ and students’ appraisal and evaluation; examine complaints thereof,
(e) standardize and supervise examinations and academic evaluations systems;
(f) determine teaching material selection and preparation to courses, and approve distribution of teaching load to staff members;
(g) support and facilitate quality improvement and innovation in curriculum and learning-teaching systems;
(h) approve students’ grade.
(i) Undertake such other similar duties assigned by the faculty and the university
16. Internal Autonomy of Organs of the University
1) the establishment and function of the various main organs of the University described in Article 3 Sub-Article 2 of this Charter shall be determined by organizational structure to be approved by the Board;
2) each faculty, institute, school and/or college may have a cost center status.
3) each cost center shall prepare its own action plan, budget, determine the usage of budget and resources and prepare report;
17. Management and Leaderships Appointment
The candidate for different positions available in different organs of the University shall meet the following criteria;
(a) managerial administration and leadership competence;
(b) demonstrate ability to effectively participate in all the academic, research and community services of the University;
(c) demonstrated results and good conduct;
(d) preparedness and commitment for ability to practice and inculcate democratic values.
STAFF AND STUDENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY
18. The University Staff
1) The University shall have staff as provided in the Proclamation
2) The University may employ a staff of another institution, government or private entities in the form of a joint appointment-ship
3) The joint appointment-ship is effected upon agreement between the respective employing organization, as well as the consent of the individual
4) The joint-appointee shall be considered as a full time academic staff enjoying all the rights and duties provided in the laws.
5) Duties and responsibilities of University staff shall be as provided in the Proclamation.
19. Admission of Students
1) Without prejudice to the provisions of this charter and other relevant laws regarding the requirements of admission of students, the University shall:
(a) be open to all qualified citizens of Ethiopia and without any discrimination.
(b) admit, for undergraduate studies, students who have completed Ethiopian preparatory level school education or foreign high school education that has equivalent level as determined by the Ministry, and those who satisfy entrance qualifications assessment of the University;
(c) admit students with diploma (12+2 and 10+3) as advanced students in its undergraduate programs.
(d) admit, for post graduate studies, students who have completed heir undergraduate studies and satisfy entrance qualifications set by the University;
(e) determine special admission procedures, for female students, students from developing regions, adults and experienced students
2) All students shall fulfill the requirements as provided in the principles of cost sharing.
3) The University shall design an assessment mechanism that enables it to evaluate the ability and level of knowledge as well as skills of its students.
4) The methods of assessment designed in accordance with Sub-Article (1) of this Article shall be based on the content of course or training offered to the student and based on continuous assessment.
5) The method of assessment may be oral, written, practical or any other form to be decided by the Senate;
6) The University shall return and notify transparently the results and examination papers to students.
INCOME GENERATION AND FUND
20. Establishment of Enterprise and Its Units
An enterprise, accountable to the University Development and Business Vice-President, having the following units is hereby established:
(a) The consultancy service
(b) The production service
(c) The projects service
(d) The information technology service
(e) Other service to be established by the University
21. Powers and Duties of the Enterprise Source of Income
Without prejudice to the income sources of the enterprise provided by the Proclamation
1) Income generated from income generating units of the university before the coming into effect of this Charter, shall be income of the enterprise.
2) Income generating units of the university established before the coming into force of this charter shall be under the enterprise
22. Powers and Duties of the Enterprise
In addition to requirements such as acquiring licenses, in accordance with relevant laws the enterprise has the following powers and duties;
1) Giving consultancy services;
2) Carry out laboratory tests
3) Producing and distributing agricultural products;
4) Hospital Services;
5) Prepare and review of project documents, designs and studies;
6) Special pharmacies;
7) Internet cafes & computer centers;
8) Renting facilities;
9) Sales of books and other published materials;
10) Own property
23. Management of the Enterprise
The general management of the enterprise, its structure, capital, the election of its managers and other relevant issues shall be decided by the board.
24. Submission of Enterprise and Activity Report of the Enterprise
The enterprise, shall, within three months after the end of its fiscal year, submit to the board the financial and activity report of the enterprise.
25. Establishment of the Fund
Upon the request of the University and with the approval of the Board or the Ministry a Fund shall be established having aim and source of income as provided by the Proclamation.
26. Organs of the Fund
The Fund shall have:
(a) Fund Administration Board (herein referred to as the “Fund Board”);
27. Members of the Fund Board
1) The Fund Board shall have members assigned by the President of the University
2) The term of the Board shall be two years
3) In case of absence of any number of members due to any reason, a new members shall be appointed.
28. Duties and Responsibilities of the Fund Board
The board shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
1) Follows up the implementation of the aims of the fund and issue the necessary directives for the execution of the same
2) Examine reports submitted by the secretariat on the application of different sources of income for their intended purposes and approve it;
3) Ensures that the income of the fund are duly collected;
4) Carries out other activities necessary for the achievement of the aims of the fund
29. Meetings of the Fund Board
The time for convening of the meetings of the Board and the procedure voting in the meetings shall be determined by rules and procedures issued by the Fund Board.
30. Powers and Duties of the Secretariat
The secretariat shall have the following powers and duties:
1) Prepares annual budgets; activity and financial reports and submit those for the approval to the Fund Board:
2) examines projects prepared and assisted by the fund, and allows the fund for the implementation of the same in accordance with the directives issued by the board;
3) studies additional ways and sources of the finance to be used for the Fund
4) keeps minutes, reports and working papers of the Fund board; follows up the appropriate implementation of directives issued by the Fund Board;
5) execute other duties provided by the board.
31. Powers and Duties of Director of the Secretariat of the Fund
The director of the secretariat of the fund shall be accountable to the Fund Board on matters related to the Fund and implement powers and duties of the secretariat provided under Article 30 of this Charter.
32. Inapplicable Laws
Any regulations or directives inconsistent with the provisions of this charter shall not be applicable.
33. Transfer of Rights and Duties
This rights and duties of the institute known as Gonder before coming into force of this Charter is hereby transferred to the University.
34. Effective Date
This Charter shall enter into force form the date of its publication in the Federal Negarit Gazeta
Done in Addis Ababa this 20th day of September, 2004
PRIME MINISTER OF THE FEDERAL
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA