COUNCIL OF MINISTER REGULATION NO. 103/2004
COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATION FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF FEDERAL BOARD TO PROVIDE AFFIRMATIVE SUPPORT FOR LESS DEVELOPED REGION
This Regulation is issued by the Council of Ministers pursuant to article 5 of the Definitions of Powers and Duties of The Executive Organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No. 4/1995.
1. Short Title
This Regulation may be cited as “The Council of Ministers regulation for the Establishment of Federal Board to provide affirmative support for less developed region Regulation No. 103/2004.”
In this Regulations
1. In this Regulations “less developed Regions” means Regional States of Afar, Somali, Gambella and Benshangul Gumuz and shall include pastoral areas in Oromia and Southern Nations Nationalities and People’s Regions.
2. “Affirmative support” means sustainable and coordinated support given to the regions mainly with regard to plan preparation and implementation based on their interests.
1. Federal Board to provide affirmative support for less developed regions /herein after referred to as the “Board”/ having its own legal personality is established by these regulations.
2. The Board shall be accountable to the Prime Minister.
The objectives of the board shall be to
1. Coordinate the support given to less developed regions by organs of the Federal Government.
2. Give the necessary support for the regions in their effort to carryout democratization, sustainable development and capacity building based on vision and plan.
5. Responsibilities and Duties of the Board.
The Board shall have responsibilities and duties to
1. Initiate planning ideas; give coordinated and sustainable support with respect to plan preparation and implementation.
2. Give sustainable capacity building support to the regions so that they can become self reliant;
3. Coordinate all Federal development and good governance support provided to the regions;
6. Members of the Board.
The Board shall have the following members:
1. Minister of Federal Affairs Chairperson
2. Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Development Member
3. Ministry of Education “
4. Ministry of Health “
5. Ministry of Water Resources “
6. Ministry of Trade and Industry “
7. Ministry of Revenues “
8. Ministry of Development Infrastructure “
7. Meeting of the Board.
1. The Board shall meet once in three months, however, it may meet at any time at the request of the chairperson.
2. There shall be a quorum where more than half of the members are present at a meeting of the Board.
3. Decisions of the Board shall be made by majority vote, and in case of a tie, the chairpersons shall have a casting vote.
4. Without prejudice to the provisions of this Article, the Board may draw up its own rules of procedure.
8. Responsibility and Duties of the Ministry of Federal Affairs.
The ministry shall have responsibilities and duties to
1. Serve as the main office of the Board and as a center that coordinates Federal support; follow-up the implementation of the decision of the Board.
2. Coordinate the support which is more capable to neighboring regions may provide;
3. Convene annual in which the relevant ministries and the regions participate.
4. Represent the Board in its dealings with third parties.
9. Effective Date
This Regulation shall come into force on the date of its publication in the Federal Negarit Gazeta.
PRIME MINISTER OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA